The Standing Committee on Health and Wellness met Tuesday, January 16, 2016 and has outlined a number of issues for their work plan.
Topics approved for discussion by the committee include:
- Motion on Out-of-Province Health Care expenditures – the report of the auditor general will be reviewed by the committee prior to any further action – New Minister will be asked to appear before the committee to outline his vision for the department including this matter – Deputy will be asked to attend as well
- Support for grandparents acting as primary givers” – it was decided that perhaps this could be expanded to include any family member – and since the New Minister of Family and Human Resources promoted this Motion- she will be asked to appear – as well as the director of child and family services and grandparent’s rights group
- Darlene Compton proposed that a new legislative committee be developed to address Family and Human Resource issues – the consensus was to wait and see how the committee gets along
- The committee will be discussing the Wellbeing Measurement Act – Peter Bevan Baker, presented a list of witnesses – it was also decided to seek an opinion on whether PBB would be in Conflict of Interest to discuss this issue in committee – Wales just adopted this Legislation and it was agreed that the committee hold a skype session with their representative on this Legislation
- Dr. Wedge will be appearing before committee to discuss issues such as Catastrophic Drug Program; Mental Health and Addictions; and screening programs;
- The Senior Citizens Federation will be asked to come in to discuss quality of life issues for seniors in longterm care facilities especially hospitals; palliative care, the need for a gerontologist and training for workers in private and public community care and long term care facilities
- Mona O’Shea of the PEI Nurses Union will be asked to appear to discuss nursing shortages in the province
- The committee will also be discussing funding for provincial, local and elite sports teams and athletes as well as school bands, choirs, etc.
- An update and review of the Home Renovation Program will be sought
- The details of how a basic income guarantee would work will be a topic
- And a social action plan for the province will be discussed further
Gordon McNeilly says
Thanks for this update Brad, great to see such great files being discussed.